Hello friends of Los Alamos Little Theatre,
We hope you and yours are well, surviving life without live theater!
As New Mexico seems to be opening up after a very dark year, the LALT Board of Directors is making tentative plans to re-open as well!
- Annual membership meeting: The date and time has been set for Sunday, June 13 at 2:30 pm. For the first time in many years, lunch will not be served as we do not know what new regulations the pandemic may have created. If you would like to run for the board of directors, please send an email to
email@example.com. The current board members have served since June 2019 due to circumstances beyond their control and they would surely like to see new members on board. There will be seven open slots with three board members held over. A minimum of ten interested candidates have to be on the slate. Now is your chance to help!
- LALT is making plans for the 2021-2022 Season. Two shows scheduled for the 2020-2021 season will be back: Glitter Girls will “finish” its March 2020 run in September 2021, the set is still up! And Mimi Adams is excited for the chance to direct A Wrinkle in Time, which was originally scheduled for September 2020. The Board is soliciting proposals for the other slots in what should be a celebratory, joyful, and uplifting season! The Board of Directors is open to ideas, think about it, and send in your proposals!
- Theater New Mexico: Ordinarily we would have traveled to Artesia for four days of workshops, plays, and camaraderie with other theaters in NM. This year our state organization is planning a virtual festival. Eric Björklund will produce and direct LALT’s entry. Click here for more details.
- AACT, the American Association of Community Theaters is also hosting a virtual festival this year. Find out more at: aact.org/aactfest-2021
- Work Parties: look for announcements for work parties this summer. We will need to get our dear, old building ready to reopen and compliant with COVID regulations. The landscaping needs attention as well. Board members have kept things going but a major effort is needed.
- Finally, the current Board of Directors has immense gratitude for your understanding and support during these past several months. Unfortunately, even with no shows on stage, infrastructure bills still need to be paid. LALT is a 501 (c)3 charitable organization. All donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Donations may be sent to P. O. Box 211, Los Alamos, NM 87544.
- Stay well! THANK YOU!
Every two years Theatre New Mexico sponsors New Mexico’s state AACTFest theatre festival in the Spring as a part of the American Association of Community Theatre’s biannual festival cycle. But circumstances this year have forced the cancellation of inperson AACTFest state and regional festivals. To help keep New Mexico’s amateur dramatic arts alive,while we await the safe resumption of live theatre, TNM will be holding a virtual theatre festival June 25-27, 2021. This will not be a competition, but rather a celebration. For information on how to participate, please download TNM’s Virtual Festival_Announcement.
LALT is updating and consolidating its general announcements email mailing list. An email was recently sent to all members on the list. If you did not receive this message and would like to be added to our list please send an email to MailListRequest@lalt.org
We hope all of our patrons and members are staying safe and healthy. It is the LALT Board’s intention to assess the season when the Performing Arts Center (PAC) is able to reopen, and allow a three month lead time from announcement to production. In the meantime, if you have a memory or photo of a favorite LALT production, please post it in the LALT Facebook site!
The current Public Health Orders from the State of New Mexico and Los Alamos County still require that the PAC remain closed until further notice. If you have keys, please do not enter unnecessarily. If you no longer need your keys, send them to LALT P.O. Box 211, Los Alamos, NM 87544. Include your name, address, phone number and email. Eric Bjorklund will return your deposit.
As you do your holiday shopping you may donate to LALT through the Amazon Smile Program. Choose LALT as your designated 501(c)3 charity and the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to LALT. To register your Amazon account with LALT as your designated charity go to smile.amazon.com/ch/85-0279625.
We miss you and miss the theatre! Until we meet again, stay safe!
Los Alamos Little Theatre Board of Directors
The current Public Health Orders from the state of New Mexico indicate that close-contact recreational facilities (including performance venues) must remain closed. This guidance is in effect until at least the end of September. Therefore, the Los Alamos Little Theatre Board of Directors has voted to suspend the 2020-2021 season. When the Performing Arts Center is able to resume operations, we will notify the shows slated for the current season in order to determine which are able to go forward. We hope to allow a 3 month lead time from announcement to first production.
Many considerations went into this decision. Above all we’re trying to be safe and follow state guidelines. We all hope we can resume sooner rather than later.
Meanwhile, if you missed the theater, you can take a virtual tour of it with Ken Milder. Jeremy Smith, the Curator and Events Manager of the Los Alamos Creative District hosted a walk through of the Performing Arts Center for Los Alamos Culture on Tap with Ken, Tomas Farish and Eric Bjorklund. You can watch the episode in its entirety here.
We hope you are well and we thank you for your understanding and patience.
LALT Board of Directors
This is an update to a previous post.
Los Alamos Little Theatre will not be working on the landscaping on May 9. We have suspended all action/decisions until after the governor’s next announcement on May 15.
Stay tuned for more news regarding the next season and our annual meeting. In the meantime, stay safe and stay healthy!
Los Alamos Little Theatre needs your help with the landscape around the building. Join us this coming Saturday, May 9 from 9 to 12 to prune, weed, and pick up.
We will respect COVID-19 safety guidelines:
- wear your own mask and gloves.
- bring your own yard tools, water bottle, hat, sunscreen, snack.
- maintain a minimum of 6 feet between you and others while working.
- say hello to your friends from a safe distance and enjoy their camaraderie from afar!
The building will be open for restroom use only, no interior work.
In light of New Mexico’s “stay at home order” in effect until at least April 30 and Los Alamos County guidelines and the restrictions associated with the order, the LALT Board of Directors decided at its April 7, 2020 meeting to cancel the remainder of the 2019-2020 season through the end of May.
In keeping with the guidance from Los Alamos County regarding facilities, and in accordance with the Los Alamos public schools closure, the remainder of LALT’s season is on hold until April 6, at which time we will reassess. Hopefully circumstances will be clearer by that date, and we can make decisions regarding the rest of this season and the 2020-2021 season. Thank you for all of your support as we try to navigate these uncharted waters.